This Thirteenth Edition has four sections:
- History taking and general examination.
- System examination covering symptoms and signs.
- Examination in special situations including babies & children and the critically ill.
- Assessing clinical examination techniques
Included on the Student Consult site are the specially-recorded videos demonstrating many of the clinical examination routines described in the main text.
- The book starts with a general overview section on history taking and the general examination that provides the framework on which to hang the detail.
- The systematic examination section documents clearly the relevant history, examination and special investigations as well as giving advice on their significance.
- The third section covers examination in specific situations and emphasises an integrated and structured approach to these patients.
- A final section spells out how to demonstrate the techniques learned in the book in an OSCE.
- Macleod's is closely linked to its sister publication, Davidson's Principles & Practice of Medicine, which complements the information in this text.